
Well, I guess we survived the big holiday rush! From Halloween until the first week of January, retail is crazy! Of course, if you've noticed, the Valentine's Day stuff was coming out before the stores closed for Christmas! I know, everyone has to get ready early...but aren't we forgetting something? There is a quiet little holiday that gets little notice (and no big sales, no giant discounts, no "Peeps.").
I mean, of course, Groundhog's Day! When was the last time you sent your Mom a "Happy Groundhog's Day!" card? Why are there no little rodent-like "Peeps" on the shelves? I'm sure that if the greeting card people get wind of it, there will be a big to-do about it!
Groundhog day is important to those of us in the north awaiting the arrival of spring! If the furry little guy predicts 6 more weeks of winter, students everywhere instinctivley KNOW not to eat the school lunch mystery meat that day! I love winter and snow, but I will admit that by Feb. 02, I'm ready to hear that spring is coming! Do I believe that a rodent can predict the weather...well, maybe. I know that people use the thickness of beaver dams to predict mild or harsh winters, I know that alot of people believe animals know things...Not all are that bright though. The little guy pictured above didn't know he couldn't swim forever when he got in my pool. He didn't notice that there was no little ladder there to help him out after his dip. (I felt bad and gave him a proper burial).
We have so many made up holidays that most people celebrate them blindly...not knowing, caring or believing in the original meaning or reason behind it. As long as it means they get holiday pay, the day off or lots of beer and food, who cares what the day originally meant? I say, "Why not Groundhog's Day?" Why not have the day off to either celebrate the coming of spring or a mental health day off to mourn another 6 weeks of cold gray skies! Everyone knows retail is quiet from January to March...let's liven it up with shelves of Groundhog candy (easy to make out of chocolate-they're brown animals!), everyone can beat up a piniata shaped like a cute little rodent and get lots of presents! We can all dress up in bright colors to help spring on it's way! Let's start a Groundhog revolution!
We have Boss' Day! Come on- who really wants to buy cards, flowers and gifts for their boss? (Most ethics commitees could have a field day with that idea). With Groundhog's Day, it's not like sucking up will really have much impact on the results...
Happy Groundhog's Day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment