Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Computers & Family


Some families are lucky; they live close enough to keep in touch easily. Others, like mine, are scattered all over the world. In the precomputer days, many families would keep in touch with occasional letters and rare visits. There are still families living the old way, not really knowing what's going on until the yearly Christmas newsletter comes. There are others families that are computer literate-to some degree- that keep in touch regularly through e-mail, digital pictures, etc. Our family shares everyday trials, triumphs and pictures online.
I live in Wisconsin. My Mom lives in Florida. I have brothers all over the place-NJ, PA, Greenbay, Trinidad... and soon, Afganistan (hopefully an uneventful year with a happy return!). We can all keep in touch, share thoughts and ideas, send pictures of events the same day they happen, and feel closer than we are geographically.
My Mom has decided to move up near us. Because we have the computers, I can check out potential apartments and take digital pictures...Mom can "see" the places and get a feel for them. I can check out neighborhoods and let her know about rescources near each place. Sure makes the decision making easier from state to state!
One of my brothers is interested in buying a place to live...in Wisconsin. He currently lives in New Jersey. He has found places online, but there are some things you can't find out from a realtor's site...things you have to see before you buy. Today, I'm going to check out a very unique property for him, camera in hand. From the visit, I can get shots of parts of the house not shown on the ad site, draw up a basic floorplan so he can see the layout, and ask more questions. Of course, if my visit proves fruitful and he is really interested in buying, he will come out and check it out himself. Having me prescreen just saves him from wasting trips to find the places aren't what he wants.
See how the computer helps families!? I was able to share pictures of my Grandbabies as soon as I got home from the hospital! When I needed to find a ride for my (then 13 yrs) daughter to get her to camp, I just posted on the family website and a cousin responded! He was going that way at the same time, and sure he would take her! The busfare wasn't the issue...a 13 year old girl alone on the bus was. Jeff saved my nerves! We post plans for camping trips, the family reunion, health issues (prayer requests are common...but it's also an ongoing family medical update!). The things we share on the computer also provide conversation topics when we do call. A good ice breaker for those we haven't talked to in a long time..."Hey! I saw that picture of you and the kids at the park - they sure are getting big!" That sure brings you closer!
One of my brothers lives in another country. I've never been there. He posts pictures and blogs full of things you won't find just by looking up Trinidad. I have a better idea of where he lives. Do you know what your brother ate for lunch yesterday? I may not know daily, but occasionally, I see pictures of dinner plates! Sounds weird, but it makes you feel closer just being part of the everyday life that is so far away.
Obviously, if you're reading this, you are on a computer. How about some of your faraway family? Could you see being closer if they had one? Wouldn't it be nice to share a few tidbits of your everyday life more often? Think about it...

No comments: